Saturday, January 15, 2011

Booty Shakin' Hippity Hoppity

Here's today's topic: booty shakin' music from back in the day. I don't care if you're day was 1993 or your day was 1933, there's got to be some music that makes you shake it a little as you dance around your kitchen, get on your treadmill, or write some fantastic part of your novel where your main characters are at a rave with glow sticks.  

The subject matter of this blog came to me as I was downloading some music on iTunes to build into a running playlist. Mind you, I did this at work because; well, my focus is a bit off, but I digress.  When I run, I need the music to keep tempo for me as it distracts me from the dire pain and exhaustion my body is currently enduring. Alas, I like to get into my workout music. This prompted me to think about the last 20 years or so and remember back to some of favorite all-time booty shakin' tunes.
  1. Bust-A-Move (Young Mc) Classic old school (for me) and it makes me giggle every time I hear it.
  2. Summertime (Will Smith) My favorite line is, "She turns around to see what you beepin' at."  Classic.
  3. Smooth Criminal (Michael Jackson) My daughter is especially fond of this tune and loves to have a dance party in our living room with it.
  4. Mama Said Knock You Out (LL Cool J) In my opinion, Mama and knock you out can't be in the same sentence enough.
  5. Billy Jean (Michael Jackson) because you just can't get enough of old school MJ.
Now, for those of you reading this, this does not directly reflect my taste in music, as I pretty much love most music and am not a major R&B, Hip Hop fan. Sometimes, you just need to get yourself in a fun kind of mood or groove to get your butt moving on a treadmill, in the dead of winter, in Wisconsin. I'm just saying. I've got some more modern stuff on there, and I'm going to put myself out there and admit that the following tunes also get me moving, and I'm not 16.
  1. We R Who we R (Ke$ha) because we're hitting on dudes....hard.
  2. Like a G6 (Far East Movement) because I'm not sure what exactly we're being compared to in this song.
  3. Airplanes (BOB) because I think airplanes in the night sky are NOT like shooting stars, or we'd have some flight safety issues.
Notice, this list is currently short but sweet because I rarely listen to the real radio anymore. I'm usually listening to Pandora on the Keane Radio station or listening to my iPod full of music from all genres.


So, this weeks blog is all about booty shakin'. I honestly never thought I'd actually write anything that really included the words booty shakin' but, I'm going with the flow on this one. 


What songs new and old make you shake it a little as you're hanging about in your house, heading out for a run, or just driving alone in your car?  I'd love to add some to my personal playlist for my training and enjoyment. Comments are appreciated.  

***Please note, I'm aware that Summertime is by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, but I really didn't feel like screwing up my lovely number formatting up top with details. *** Plus he's Will Smith now  ya'll and I have no idea what happened to Jazzy Jeff.  He clearly isn't as rich as Will Smith nor are his children whipping their hair, in public at least.

1 comment:

  1. I must thank YOU and my 10 year old son for the new found Ke$ha addiction. It's only been until recently that I have even LOOKED FOR the top 40 station...if it wasn't NPR, it wasn't being played. So, thank you...I think. : /

    I'm ashamed to admit this, because let's face it, I am closer to 40 than you are, but I have been all over the Black Eyed Peas lately. Are any of their songs "runnable"...don't know. I found a love for The Postal Service a few years back, and that worked for my pace.

    Now, OLD SCHOOL booty shakin' Dead or Alive's You Spin Me Round always got me moving. I also went through a "No Doubt" stage, and their remake of Come On Eileen is a closet favorite.

    ReplyDelete